Celebrating God’s Work
In my latest message from the book of Nehemiah, I focused on the great celebration that took place in the twelfth chapter. Corporate worship is, obviously, our response to God’s greatness. I think it is also formative of our spiritual lives. In the message from Nehemiah 12:27-47, I stressed that the manner in which the people worshiped was a way for them to thank God publicly and develop their own faith in what He would continue to do in their lives.
In my next message, I will conclude our short journey through the book. I am excited to cover the last chapter and, at the same time, dread moving on to another subject. Studying the book again has been a rich experience that I has helped me immensely. But for now, here are my teaching notes from the latest message.
Celebrating God’s Work – Nehemiah 12:27-47
- READ v. 27-30
- Worship is the natural result of the work of God.
- Specifically dealing with the event of God’s people worshiping together.
- Involves everyone & requires preparation.
- We want to provide an environment where worship is normative.
Worship is where you… Express Your Thankfulness
- v.31 & v.38
- Once the work was completed, the Word taught, confession, and covenant renewal.
- Experiencing God’s grace is a natural place for expressing our thankfulness.
- Procession on the wall that God built. Not Nehemiah’s work. Not the people’s work. God’s work!
- When we worship, we are thanking God for how He has acted on our behalf.
Worship is where you… Show Your Faith
A) Walking on the wall
- Enemies said it would not stand under the weight of a fox. (4:3)
- They stood on top of that which the enemy said would never be built, was a threat, and sought to stop the work.
- When we celebrate the work God has done, we are declaring our faith in what He will do next.
B) Supporting the work at the Temple – v.44-47
- Showed faith by contributing to work yet to be done.
- Joyful celebration of offerings
- The march was a show of faith by the community. The offering is a show of faith by individuals.
Worship is where you… Declare the Victory
- V. 42b-43
- Worship is attributing the victory to the true Hero of our story.
- Singing – 42b
- Sacrifices – 43
- Rejoiced & Celebrated – 43
- We do this in our lyrics, prayers, sermon, response time
- The proclamation and celebration of the gospel is a declaration of Christ’s victory.
Worship is where you… Witness to the World
- v.43b – “… and Jerusalem’s rejoicing was heard far away.”
- Loud — Well-known – Recognized — Joyful
- Our worship is designed to focus the hearts of people on the greatness of God.
- It should point people to God; not skill of musicians, vocal prowess of vocalists, cool work of lighting techs, or wittiness of a preacher.
- Our worship of Jesus should encourage believers and piqué the interest of those yet to believe.
- The enemy said that this church would not last. Jesus said that He will build the church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.
- Sin and temptation tell you that you are nothing, a loser, not worth anyone’s attention. Jesus says that you are more than a conqueror in Christ.
- Apathy says don’t worry about it; Not a big deal. Jesus says: I’m the King. Your King. Sharing My kingdom with you!
- Profess your faith today.
- Express your thanksgiving.
- Seek out a partner for prayer.