10 Tips for Missional Living
The idea of living as a missionary in our culture is one that I believe we should embrace. Here are ten tips to help you leverage your thinking and life toward a missional orientation.
1. Understand the Gospel. The mission of God is consumed with the person & work of Christ. As you understand Christ, you can accurately participate in God’s work of redemption. So read the Gospels – a lot.
2. Take an eternal view of people. The friends, neighbors, and co-workers around you have an eternity in front of them. We need to see them as God does and care for them accordingly.
3. Be friendly. A Christian should be the most trustworthy confidant that another person has in the world. Believers should be the kind of people that everyone else wants to be around.
4. Watch for a chance to serve. People give away all of their energy on family, work, and menial chores. Look for ways that you can care for your neighbors – even if it is just cooking a simple dinner for them.
5. Be truthful. Missional believers contend for the faith while speaking in a way understandable to the hearer. No matter what – be ready to talk about the truths in scripture.
6. Love like Jesus. He lived a robust life of caring for the lost. In elevating sacrificial love far beyond any previous thinking, he gave an example for us.
7. Be on guard. As you work alongside the King to extend his kingdom, our spiritual enemy will immediately attack. Guard your heart in holiness.
8. Live missionally at home. Family is the first place for the mission of God in your life. When people see the impact it has on your home, they will be more willing to trust its veracity for their own lives.
9. Show patience. People are farther away from understanding the Gospel than in previous generations. Do not hesitate to invite them to submit to Christ, but know that they have plenty of questions that might need answering first.
10. Do it for one reason – the glory of God. The only reason for be missional is to make Christ more widely known. God is worthy of being honored by all of creation and it should be the main reason why we participate in his mission.